- BREAKING: FG approves $5.3bn for Ibadan-Kano rail project
- BREAKING: Tribunal uphold Ayade’s victory
- Breaking: Nigerians who fled South Africa over xenophobic attacks arrive in Lagos
- BREAKING: Presidential tribunal upholds Buhari’s election, dismisses PDP petitions in its entirety
- BREAKING: No evidence in INEC electronically transmitted results to server, Court rules
- BREAKING: Immigration hurdles delay arrival of 317 Nigerians from South Africa
- BREAKING: Tribunal dismisses INEC’s motion against Atiku’s lead counsel
- Breaking: FUOYE suspends Students’ Union, shuts campus
- BREAKING: Shi’ites bow to pressure, hold 30-minute procession
- BREAKING: Tribunal sacks APC Senator, Orji Kalu
Only 187 Nigerians out of the 320 Nigerians expected back home were successfully evacuated to Nigeria as it was learnt that the South African government brought up new immigration rules to frustrate the evacuation process.
The 187 passengers were aboard the Air Peace Flight which arrived the Murtala Muhammed International Airport, Lagos, at 9.43pm.
The Chairman of Nigerian Diaspora Commission, Mrs Abike Dabiri-Erewa confirmed that there was a 15 hours delay before the flight left South Africa.
A viral photo on Facebook showed a Nigerian passport with a cancelled South African visa as of September 10, same treatment was meted out to other returning Nigerians.
Dabiri-Erewa disclosed that the Federal Government is giving N40,000 worth of airtime to the returnees to last them for two months as well as stipend of N10,000 for transport.
There are also reports that the Bank of Industry has initiated plans to provide loans for the returnees to start small businesses.
See video below;