- BREAKING: DSS disperses protesters seeking Sowore’s release
- BREAKING: Court threatens to strike out charge against Diezani
- BREAKING: Bayelsa APC deputy guber candidate disqualified
- Confusion as Appeal Court rules on Oyo guber poll
- BREAKING: Tam David-West dies at 83
- BREAKING: Petrol tanker burst into flame at Ipaja Road in Lagos State
- Akpabio triumphs as Appeal Court orders rerun in one local govt
- BREAKING: Appeal Court sacks Adeyeye, declares Olujimi winner
- BREAKING: Sowore meets bail conditions, to be released from DSS today
- Lagos Fire: Burning building collapses, kills policeman
JUST IN: El Clasico postponed, new date yet to be fixed
The Competition Committee have confirmed that El Clasico has been postponed and won’t be held at the Camp Nou on October 26, as originally scheduled.
WITHIN NIGERIA recalls that the match was scheduled for 26 October but there have been days of protest in Barcelona after nine Catalan separatist leaders were jailed on Monday.
Both Real Madrid and Barcelona will now have to set a new date for the meeting and communicate their decision with the Committee before 10:00 on Monday, October 21.
In the event of a date not being agreed, the Committee will set one themselves.
A statement released officially dismissed LaLiga’s requests to change the calendar and have the game played at the Estadio Santiago Bernabeu.
Also,Manager Ernesto Valverde had said Barcelona were against switching the game to Madrid as they visit Slavia Prague in the Champions League on 23 October, three days before El Clasico had been scheduled.
La Liga made the postponement request because of “exceptional circumstances beyond our control” as more protests are expected in Barcelona on the day of the match.
Protests have continued into a fifth day in Spain’s Catalonia region with protesters clashing with riot police.
Hundreds of thousands of people waving pro-independence flags and chanting “freedom for political prisoners” took part in marches across Catalonia on Friday
At least 96 people have been hurt across the region.