- BREAKING: APC floors PDP in Bayelsa guber poll, obtains over 200,000 votes
- BREAKING: Kidnapped Enugu Catholic Priest regains freedom
- BREAKING: INEC official abducted in Lokoja
- BREAKING: Sanwo-Olu begins payment of N35, 000 Minimum wage to Lagos workers
- BREAKING: Buhari on his way back to Nigeria
- BREAKING: Yola Varsity Chaplain, Prof Felix Ilesani, kidnapped
- BREAKING: Former Minister of Information, Alex Akinyele is dead
- BREAKING: Kidnapped Appeal Court judge, Justice Chioma Nwosu-Iheme regains her freedom
- BREAKING: Nigerian Air Force helicopter crash lands in Enugu
- BREAKING: Court dismisses Busola Dakolo’s case against Fatoyinbo
FIFA U-17 World Cup: Wasteful Golden Eaglets bow to Australia in final group B tie
The Golden Eaglets of Nigeria fell 2-1 to Autralia in their final Group B game of the 2019 FIFA U-17 World Cup in Brazil on Friday night.
The Eaglets who won their first two games top the group with six points despite the defeat to Australia.
Noah Botic netted a brace for Australia, while Peter Olawale was on target for the Golden Eaglets.
The Golden Eaglets dominated the opening exchanges but were poor in front of goal.
The Australians who struggled to cope with the pace and trickery of Manu Garba’s boys however took the lead against the run of play in the 14th minute with Botic slotting home off a perfect cross.
The lead lasted only seven minutes before Olawale restored parity with a fine effort from inside the box.
Botic however converted from the spot in the 54th minute.
In the the other Group B match, Ecuador beat Hungary 3-2 in a tough contest at the Estadio Olimpico Goiania to book their spot in the Round of 16.
Hungary scored first through Andras Nemeth in the 50th minute before Ecuador’s Pedro Vite and John Mercado netted two quick goals in the 66th and 68th minutes respectively to take 2-1 lead.
Nemeth completed his brace for Hungary when he drew level in the 73rd minute. Then Johan Mina grabbed an 86th minute winner for the South Americans
Ecuador finish second on six points as Nigeria but with interior goals difference, and claimed a Round of 16 spot.
Australia are third on four points, and they are in good stead to reach the round of 16 as one of the four best third-placed teams.