- BREAKING: APC floors PDP in Bayelsa guber poll, obtains over 200,000 votes
- BREAKING: Kidnapped Enugu Catholic Priest regains freedom
- BREAKING: INEC official abducted in Lokoja
- BREAKING: Sanwo-Olu begins payment of N35, 000 Minimum wage to Lagos workers
- BREAKING: Buhari on his way back to Nigeria
- BREAKING: Yola Varsity Chaplain, Prof Felix Ilesani, kidnapped
- BREAKING: Former Minister of Information, Alex Akinyele is dead
- BREAKING: Kidnapped Appeal Court judge, Justice Chioma Nwosu-Iheme regains her freedom
- BREAKING: Nigerian Air Force helicopter crash lands in Enugu
- BREAKING: Court dismisses Busola Dakolo’s case against Fatoyinbo
U-23 AFCON 2019: Olympic Eagles Lose 1-0 To CIV in First Group Game
Another Olympic Games’ hope seems fading for Nigerian football as the country’s football men team succumbed to a 1-0 defeat against Cote d’Ivoire in the opening Group B match of the CAF U23 Nations Cup.
The Olympic Eagles finished the game with 10-men after centre-back Olisa Ndah was sent off for a poor tackle inside the box 20 minutes from time with Silas Gnaka scoring the resultant penalty kick.
The Ivorians dominated the game even though the Olympic Eagles created a number of chances in the second half.
They nearly took the lead in the 16th minute but Abubakar Adamu produced a fine save to keep the score level.
Nigeria coach Imama Amapakabo made two early changes in the first half with Sunday Faleye and Mohammed Sunusi replacing Muyiwa Olabiran and Bright Enokhabare respectively.
Orji Okonkwo came close to scoring for rhe Olympic Eagles in the 65th minute but his header off a corner kick hit the cross bar.
The Eagles will face Zambia in their next game on Tuesday at the Al Salam Stadium.