- BREAKING: AGF takes over Sowore’s case from DSS
- BREAKING: US seizes jet of Nigerian ‘involved in multi-million dollar fraud’
- BREAKING: Reps summon Power, Labour Ministers over planned strike by electricity workers
- BREAKING: Fresh Crisis rocks Presidency as Aisha Buhari attacks Mamman Daura, Garba Shehu
- BREAKING: Court stops Ganduje from creating Kano State Council of Chiefs
- BREAKING: Buhari names Adamu as new AMCON chairman
- BREAKING: Buhari Writes Senate, seeks confirmation of Nami as FIRS Chairman
- BREAKING: Buhari appoints Nami to replace Fowler as FIRS boss
- DSS reacts to alleged re-arrest of Omoyele Sowore in court, says it was an orchestrated drama
- Hope for cardiac patients: medical breakthrough of 3D-printed heart gets backed by investor James Richman
Kogi 2019: Suspected political thugs attack SDP candidate
Suspected political thugs on Tuesday attacked the governorship candidate of the Social Democratic Party (SDP), Barr. Natasha Akpoti at the stakeholders’ meeting organised by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), in Lokoja, the Kogi State capital.
The meeting organised by INEC was for the signing of peace accord among the political parties and their candidates, ahead of Saturday’s poll in the state.
According to an eyewitness: “The incident happened even while the Governor of Kogi State, Yahaya Bello, the Inspector General, Mohammed Adamu, among other security chiefs, were all already seated for the program.
“It took the efforts of the men of the Nigerian Army to rescue the SDP governorship candidate from the vicinity.”
The SDP had earlier alleged of plans to attack the convoy of its candidate, while the party secretariat in Lokoja, was torched on Monday by yet- to- be identified hoodlums.
While the party put the blame for the attacks on the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC), the latter fired back, saying that they were neck deep into electioneering campaigns and had no time for frivolities.
Natasha Akpoti had allegedly stated that she was attacked, pushed to the ground and denied entrance to the Kogi 2019 election stakeholder’s meeting venue by the men of the Kogi State Governor Yahaya Bello.
She was, therefore, forced to leave with her team after attempts to get her into the venue were unsuccessful.