- BREAKING: Buhari appoints Nami to replace Fowler as FIRS boss
- DSS reacts to alleged re-arrest of Omoyele Sowore in court, says it was an orchestrated drama
- Hope for cardiac patients: medical breakthrough of 3D-printed heart gets backed by investor James Richman
- BREAKING: Intervene in Sowore’s case, SERAP writes US President, Trump
- JUST IN: IPOB ‘attacks’ Rotimi Amaechi in Spain
- BREAKING: IPOB leader, Nnamdi Kanu loses father
- BREAKING: DSS attempts to rearrest Sowore in court (VIDEO)
- BREAKING: Everton manager Marco Silva sacked
- BREAKING: DSS Finally Releases Sowore After 4 Months In Detention
- BREAKING: Senate passes 2020 Appropriation Bill, raises budget to N10.594trn
NFF officials can’t influence who I select for the team – Gernot Rohr says ahead of AFCON qualifier
The Head Coach of the Super Eagles, Gernot Rohr has declared that his coaching decisions can not be influenced by Nigerian Football Federation President Amaju Pinnick or NFF officials because he will only pick players on Merit ahead of African Cup of Nations 2021 qualifier against Benin.
This comes after NFF President, Amaju Pinnick disclosed during an interview with Channels TV on Monday that the NFF is willing to offer Rohr a new deal when his contract expires in 2020 but a clause stating that Rohr must be involved in the Nigerian League and picking players from the league, will be inserted.
WITHIN NIGERIA gathered that only Enyimba defender Ifeanyi Anaemena from the Nigerian league made Rohr’s 23-man squad after replacing Bryan Idowu for the 2021 Africa Cup of Nations qualifying matches.
However, Rohr has stated that he will only select players based on merit, not because of a clause in his contract or the wishes of the NFF.
Rohr said to reporters ahead of the Benin game on Wednesday, “I know he (Pinnick) sometimes has a different opinion like me but then, it is football. I never accept it to make a choice coming from the officials; my choice is the choice of sports arguments only, to take the best players.
“Unfortunately, we could not take more players from the local league because they did not play, so it was difficult for them to be fit.
“I know that some people cannot be happy about my choice but I can tell you it is my choice, it is always honest.”
“I have to work, the contract is not a problem. I think by the end of the year, I will discuss with the NFF. No distraction for me, but it’s time for us to have a new project to win the next AFCON, we need to be at the next World Cup as well.”