Soleimani: Iran claims 80 Americans killed in attack on US’ Iraq airbase
Iranian government has claimed that it killed 80 American in an attack on US’ Iraqi airbase.
A report by Reuters indicates that Iranian state television said on Wednesday, January 8, that at least 80 “American terrorists” were killed in attacks involving 15 missiles Tehran launched on U.S. targets in Iraq.
It was gathered that the Iranian government, however, said that none of the missiles was intercepted. According to the report, citing a senior revolutionary guards source, the state TV also said Iran had 100 other targets in the region in its sights if Washington took any retaliatory measures. Iran also said the American helicopters and military equipment were “severely damaged.
It would be recalled that Iran launched missile attacks on US-led forces in Iraq in the early hours of Wednesday, January 8, in retaliation for the US drone strike on an Iranian commander whose killing has raised fears of a wider war in the Middle East.
Recall that Iran launched more than a dozen missiles at two Iraqi bases that house United States of America troops in retaliation for the American airstrike that killed top Iranian general, Qasem Soleimani last week. It was reported that a US official told CNN that there were no initial reports of any US casualties, but an assessment of the impact of the strikes is underway.
A preliminary report indicated there were Iraqi casualties, but Iraqi security officials later told CNN there were no casualties among Iraqi security forces.
The number of casualties and whether the individuals were killed or wounded were not immediately clear as there is no official word yet. U.S Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and Defense Secretary Mark T. Esper met with President Donald Trump at the White House following the attack.