Sanwo-Olu blames attack on #EndSARS protesters on ‘forces beyond my control’
Governor of Lagos state, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, has blamed “forces beyond his direct control” for the attack on #EndSARS protesters in the state.
WITHIN NIGERIA had earlier reported how security operatives opened fire on unarmed protesters at the Lekki tollgate area of the state with many injured and some feared dead Tuesday evening.
The incident caused an uproar, within and outside the country.
In a statement on Wednesday, Sanwo-Olu said he will ensure all patients get medical attention while working with the federal government to get to the root of the incident.
“This is the toughest night of our lives as forces beyond our direct control have moved to make dark notes in our history, but we will face it and come out stronger,” the governor said.
“I’ve just concluded visits to hospitals with victims of this unfortunate shooting incident at Lekki.
“It has taken me this long to make a statement because I have to prioritize the welfare of the victims of this very sad incident.
“There are currently 10 patients at the Gen Hospital, 11 at Reddington and 4 at Vedic; with mild to moderate levels of injuries while 2 are receiving intensive medical care.
“3 patients have been discharged & we will continue to monitor and ensure all patients get the best care.
“As the Governor of our state, I recognize the buck stops at my table and I will work with the FG to get to the root of this unfortunate incident and stabilise all security operations to protect the lives of our residents.”
This is the toughest night of our lives as forces beyond our direct control have moved to make dark notes in our history, but we will face it and come out stronger.
Sanwo-Olu had ordered a 24-hour curfew, citing rising violence in the state.