TRENDING IN 48-Hrs

9 children, 10 others die in Madagascar after eating turtle

Nineteen people, nine of them children, have died from food poisoning in Madagascar after eating a turtle, sources said Thursday.

Thirty-four people were hospitalised on Monday in Vatomandry, in the east of the island, after eating the protected species, the Health and Food Safety Control Agency said.

Ten of them died, it said. Another nine people, all of them children, died at home after eating meat from the same turtle, region’s governor said.

Meanwhile, Health authorities have warned against eating turtles, as well two dozen species of fish, which feed on algae that can be toxic during the November-March hot season.

Dozens of food poisonings occur each year in coastal Madagascar and deaths are common.

Sixteen fatalities were recorded in two incidents in the 2017-18 hot season.

MOST READ TODAY

SUBSCRIBE TO Within Nigeria ON WhatsApp

POPULAR TODAY


Comments
Loading...

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More

MORE STORIES