- Ekiti Election Result: Fayemi wins as overall result emerge online
- World Cup: For the first time since 1990 England qualifies for semi-finals after beating Sweden 2-0
- Former CBN governor, Adamu Ciroma is dead
- Court orders NASS to begin impeachment process against Buhari
- Gunmen shot seven policemen dead in Abuja
- Arms Deal: Court grants Dasuki N200m bail after 30 months of detention in DSS Custody
- Another tanker fire accident along Suleja-Minna road, five confirmed injured
- Another Nigerian Celebrity, Deacon Famous, loses son
- Angry youths take over Plateau Government House over Killings, violent protests turn bloody
- Plateau Killings: Commissioner of Police sacked with immediate effect
Cultists cuts corper’s hand with machete after robbing him in Bayelsa (Photo)
The Bayelsa State Police Command has confirmed the arrest of three persons for their alleged involvement in the attack on a Corpers’ Lodge in Sagbama area of the state, during which the suspects allegedly severed a corps member’s hand.
Confirming the arrest, the Police Public Relations Officer, Bayelsa State Command, Mr. Asinim Butswat, however, said a fourth suspect had yet to be arrested.
Suspected cult members had, on Sunday, allegedly attacked a Corpers’ Lodge at Angalabiri community of Sagbama, severing the hand of a corps member identified as Luntis Julius, from Taraba State, with a machete.
Also stolen from the Corpers’ Lodge during the attack at about 2.30am were a laptop and two mobile phones belonging to the victim.
A corps member, who pleaded anonymity, lamented the security lapses in most of the corpers’ lodges in the state, claiming that the security promised corps members was lacking.
“Most of the Corpers’ Lodges are at the mercy of armed hoodlums and thieves.
“Sometimes, female corps members are harrassed on a daily basis, ” the corp member had said.
Giving insight into the arrest of the three suspects, Butswat, a Deputy Superintendent of Police, said the suspects’ apprehension was made possible by the indigenes of the community who were shocked by the dastardly act.
He gave the name of the arrested suspects as Mosan Youdougha, 22; Godswill Vincent, 21; saying that the third suspect had yet to be handed over to the Police.
Butswat said further investigation was ongoing to arrest the fourth suspect involved in the attack.
Butswat said, “At about 12pm on Monday, the Police, with the help of youths of Angalabiri community, arrested two persons involved in the attack and robbery of some persons at the Corpers’ Lodge in the area.
“The third person has not yet been turned in by the residents. Efforts are on to arrest the fourth suspect.”