- Buhari calls late Hauwa Liman’s father
- Atiku picks Peter Obi as running mate for 2019 Presidential Election
- Lagos APC shun NWC, declares Sanwo-Olu winner of governorship primary
- NWC cancels Lagos APC primaries, Sanwo-olu reportedly defeats Ambode
- Lagos APC Primaries: Buhari summons Tinubu, Ambode today
- Two Nigerian Air Force jets crash while rehearsing for Independence celebrations, 1 Pilot confirmed dead
- Osun State Election Result: Adeleke, PDP disappointed as errors emerge in Ayedaade, Osogbo poll results
- National Carrier Project: Nigeria Air has been suspended indefinitely
- Exam Malpractice: Senator Adeleke declared wanted by Police
- Bauchi Commissioner, Mahmood Abubakar is dead
2018 World Cup: Russia Bans Nigerian Supporters From Bringing Live Chicken Into Stadium
The Kaliningrad Stadium is the venue of Super Eagles’ World Cup opener against Croatia. The match is slated for Saturday 8pm.
The Supporters believe that live chicken painted in green and white, brings goodluck for their team.
Speaking about the request by the Nigerian supporters, Russian Minister of Culture and Tourism, Andrei Ernak, told interfax.ru that there is no way the supporters from West Africa would be allowed into the stadium with live chickens.
Ernak said, ”Our information center FM-2018 receives a lot of various questions.
“So, fans from Nigeria asked whether it is possible to go to the stadium with a chicken. This is their symbol, citizens are seen with them in all matches.
“We told them that it’s by no means possible to come with a live chicken.
”But if the Nigerians are rooting for their team in other places, we will of course advise them where the chicken can be bought.
The Nigerian supporters made the same request 8 years ago in South Africa. Nigeria fans were turned away from Ellis Park in Johannesburg after demanding to take chickens, painted green into the stadium where the team lost 1-0 to Argentina.