- Abuja building collapse: 2 killed, 18 trapped, six rescued
- Dankwambo in closed-door meeting with Obasanjo
- Gov Obiano’s aide, Randie Chima found dead in his room
- Armed robbers kill 12 while raiding two banks In Edo State
- DSS DG, Lawal Daura arrested, detained after Osinbajo sacked him
- Nigerian Army arrest Maje Lawan, one of the most wanted Boko Haram terrorists
- Nine Youth Corps members drown after taking party to River Mayo-Selbe in Taraba State
- Plateau lawmaker, Yusuf Gagdi, involved in ghastly accident, Airforce personnel hospitalised
- PDP files petition against Fayemi’s victory in Ekiti
- I’ve been pushed out — Senate President, Saraki, says as he dumps APC for PDP
The Armed robbers had earlier attacked the local police station on Thursday where they shot and killed a policeman on duty with two detainees while also setting the only vehicle on sight , a Toyota Hilux on fire before proceeding to attack the banks at Akoko-Edo Local Government Area of Edo State.
The Edo State Police Public Relations Officer, Chidi Nwabuzor, confirmed the incident but said information about the attack was still sketchy. At least four other persons were reportedly killed at the banks when the armed men could not gain access to the vaults of the banks.
One of the youths in the community Ofei Obende said they tried to resist the robbers but were overpowered by their firepower but that the police in the banks had exchanged of gunfire which he said was responsible for the death of the three unidentifiable bodies. He said another unknown person was caught in the cross fire and could help police in their investigation.
Speaking on his mobile phone from Igarra, the Palace Secretary to the paramount ruler of the community, Otaru of Igarra, Elder Folorunsho Dania confirmed the incident but determined efforts to get across to the Edo state police spokesman, Mr. Chidi Nwanbuzor proved futile as his mobile phone was switched off