- BREAKING: Over 10 people rescued in another ‘rehabilitation’ center in Kaduna
- BREAKING: ICPC declares Obono-Obla wanted
- BREAKING: Another attacks on Nigerians in South Africa
- BREAKING: Court orders forfeiture of 23 properties linked to Maina
- BREAKING: Court orders forfeiture of Saraki’s houses in Ikoyi
- BREAKING: Court Partially Varies Sowore, Bakare’s Bail Conditions, adjourns Case
- Three days after impeachment saga, Edward Onoja sworn-in as Kogi Deputy Governor
- BREAKING: Two critically injured as container falls in Onitsha
- BREAKING: Kogi Assembly confirms Onoja as Yahaya Bello’s deputy
- JUST IN: Seven killed in Gov Obaseki’s convoy accident
Governor Splashes N18 Million On Super Eagles Team, Coach Gets N3.6 Million
Governor Ifeanyi Arthur Okowa of Delta State has rewarded the Super Eagles following victories in their 2019 AFCON qualifying match against Seychelles and the prestige friendly against seven-time African champions Egypt, as he presented the sum of $10,000 (about N3.6 million) to Technical Adviser Gernot Rohr and another $50,000 (about N18 million) to the team on Tuesday.
Thenff.com recalls that Governor Okowa similarly rewarded the team following their qualification for the 2019 AFCON with the 1-1 draw against South Africa in Johannesburg in November 2018, which they followed up with a friendly against Uganda in Asaba three days later.
Captain Ahmed Musa, who, on his part, received rave reviews for promptly fulfilling his promise of N1million-a-goal to the Olympic Eagles by sending the team N4million on Monday evening immediately after their 4-0 win over Libya, thanked Governor Okowa for his kind gestures and support to the team, other National Teams and Nigerian Football generally.
At its meeting on Monday, the NFF Executive Committee hailed Delta State’s number one citizen and his administration for the full sponsorship of the Super Eagles’ two matches, as well as taking care of the U23 AFCON qualifier between Nigeria and Libya.
Nigeria’s Odion Ighalo emerged the top scorer of the 2019 AFCON qualifying campaign with seven goals, and the 1-0 victory over Africa’s number one ranked side Egypt was brilliantly executed and must have positive implications for Africa’s fourth-ranked team Nigeria’s position in the next FIFA ranking activation.