- BREAKING: Supreme Court rejects Atiku, PDP’s request to access ‘INEC server’
- BREAKING: Kogi Deputy Gov. Drags Assembly to court over impeachment notice
- BREAKING: Supreme Court strikes out Atiku, PDP’s appeal
- BREAKING: Court restrains AGF, ICPC from seizing ex-Gov, Yari’s properties
- JUST IN: Former Deputy Senate President, Senator Ike Ekweremadu Stoned By Angry Igbo Men in Nuremberg Germany (Video)
- BREAKING: Police arrest suspected murders of Enugu Catholic Priest
- BREAKING: El-Zakzaky, wife back by noon, says IMN
- BREAKING: Atiku’s son-in-law gets N20m bail
- BREAKING: Buhari suspends Obono-Obla, gives reason
- BREAKING: Another pastor kidnapped in Kaduna, abductors give family 5 days ultimatum
Lionel Messi Has ‘Already Won The Ballon d’Or’ Says Barcelona Legend
Lionel Messi has enjoyed another remarkable season – and Barcelona icon Rivaldo has tipped him for a sixth Ballon d’Or crown. The Argentine superstar has scooped the individual accolade an incredible five times, though his last triumph came back in 2015.
Messi has once again spearheaded Barcelona ’s quest for glory this season, helping them book a Champions League semi-final date with Liverpool .
The Spanish giants are also in the Copa del Rey final, where they will play Valencia, and they are en route to retaining their La Liga crown.
Messi has played a crucial role, netting 33 goals and providing 14 assists in all competitions – and Rivaldo reckons he deserves to lift the coveted trophy.
“It’s impossible to describe Messi,” Rivaldo told Goal . “I like him so much and I always say I feel so sad because he never won the World Cup with Argentina. It is an award he deserves because a world-class player like him must be a world champion.
“He has been scoring goals, giving assists and being the top scorer in La Liga for a long time and I think what he has been doing in the Champions League means his merits should be recognised.
“He had a chance to score a bicycle kick [versus Man Utd] but it’s not an easy one to take because you don’t get those chances often in games. It was a good effort but it didn’t quite come off.
“Even if he doesn’t win the Champions League, however, he already deserves the Ballon d’Or.”