- Breaking: INEC receives applications for three new parties
- Breaking: Appeal Court strikes out suit challenging Ihedioha’s emergence as PDP guber candidate
- JUST IN: Five rescued from Kano collapsed building
- JUST IN: ASUU suspends strike in Taraba University
- JUST IN: Another Building Collapses In Lagos As Three escape Death
- JUST IN: Two storey building collapses in Warri
- Breaking: Tribunal strikes out petition challenging Faleke’s victory
- Just in: Ondo Assembly sacks interim council chairmen
- BREAKING: Senate adjourns plenary for 2 weeks
- Breaking: PDP, Atiku seek tribunal’s permission to inspect INEC’s server
INEC withdraws Certificate of Return from 2 APC lawmakers-elect
Two APC lawmakers-elect were stripped of their Certificates of Return following a court order overruling election malpractices in Kaduna.
The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), following a court order, has withdrawn 2 Certificates of Returns from two Kaduna APC lawmakers-elect at the last conducted general elections.
The members are Haruna Aliyu, representing Kaduna North II (Kawo), and Ibrahim Ismail, representing Kaduna South II (Tudun Wada) constituency respectively.
Haruna Aliyu and Ibrahim Ismail both contested in the primaries where two other contestants, Yusuf Salihu and Nasiru Usman, scored 104 and 49 votes respectively at the elections held on October 7, 2018.
According to reports, their party, the All Progressives Congress, APC replaced the names of the winners of the primaries with that of Haruna Aliyu and Ibrahim Ismail who had scored 24 and 35 votes respectively and submitted same to INEC as the party’s candidates.
In his judgement, Justice Z. B Abubakar stated that the purported substitution of the name of Hon. Yusuf Salihu for the Kaduna State House of Assembly election Kaduna North II Constituency is in violation of the provision of section 33 of the Electoral Act. 2010 as amended.
The court, however, ruled in favour of Nasiru Usman who scored the highest number of votes cast at the primaries for elective position of member State House of Assembly representing Tudun Wada Constituency otherwise known as Kaduna South II, Kaduna State as the nominated candidate for the general elections.