- BREAKING: Fresh Crisis rocks Presidency as Aisha Buhari attacks Mamman Daura, Garba Shehu
- BREAKING: Court stops Ganduje from creating Kano State Council of Chiefs
- BREAKING: Buhari names Adamu as new AMCON chairman
- BREAKING: Buhari Writes Senate, seeks confirmation of Nami as FIRS Chairman
- BREAKING: Buhari appoints Nami to replace Fowler as FIRS boss
- DSS reacts to alleged re-arrest of Omoyele Sowore in court, says it was an orchestrated drama
- Hope for cardiac patients: medical breakthrough of 3D-printed heart gets backed by investor James Richman
- BREAKING: Intervene in Sowore’s case, SERAP writes US President, Trump
- JUST IN: IPOB ‘attacks’ Rotimi Amaechi in Spain
- BREAKING: IPOB leader, Nnamdi Kanu loses father
Messi Gets One-Match Ban, Fined $1,500 For Red Card, Comments At Copa America
Argentina captain Lionel Messi has been suspended for one match and fined $1,500 by the South American football governing body, CONMEBOL for his red and comments during La Albiceste’s 2-1 win against Chile in the Third-Place match of 2019 Copa America in Brazil earlier this month.
The Barcelona superstar will now observe the one game suspension in Argentina’s first 2022 World Cup qualifying match.
Messi and Chile’s Gary Medel had altercation during the Copa America 2019 Third-Place match and the referee dismissed both players. But Messi incurred more wrath of CONMEBOL after accusing the body and the referee of ‘favouritism and lack of respect’.
Messi may still get more sanctions if CONMEBOL later finds him guilty in some pending cases involving him over dissent and comments at the Copa America.
Also Read: Buhari Drops Dalung, New Sports Minister To Emerge From New Ministerial Nominees
In a statement on Tuesday, CONMEBOL confirmed the Barcelona star had been fined
$1,500, with no appeal possible.
The single judge of the disciplinary tribunal confirmed “the automatic suspension imposed on the player Lionel Andres Messi, not agreeing on any additional suspension”
while imposing the $1,500 fine.