- Breaking: AA suspends Okorocha‘s in-law
- JUST IN: INEC announces automatic employment for Outstanding corps members
- Osun Guber: What court decided on Senator Ademola Adeleke’s Appeal On Monday
- Breaking: Ondo youths shut down Gov. Akeredolu’s office
- Breaking: INEC receives applications for three new parties
- Breaking: Appeal Court strikes out suit challenging Ihedioha’s emergence as PDP guber candidate
- JUST IN: Five rescued from Kano collapsed building
- JUST IN: ASUU suspends strike in Taraba University
- JUST IN: Another Building Collapses In Lagos As Three escape Death
- JUST IN: Two storey building collapses in Warri
Man who robbed church worshipers in Ekiti sentenced to death
An Ekiti State High Court has sentenced one Alonge Ajayi to death by hanging after being found guilty of armed robbery.
Justice Lekan Ogunmoye who handed down the sentence held that the prosecution has proved the case against the convict beyond the reasonable doubt.
The judge ruled that Ajayi, 22, by the commission of the crime offended Section 402 of the Criminal Law Code Cap C16 Vol 1 Laws of Ekiti State 2012.
According to the charge sheet, Ajayi, who was a member of a three-man robbery gang, had on 30th October, 2016 robbed three worshippers who were coming from the church in Ikere Ekiti.
The victims, who testified in court, said the gang who rode on a motorcycle followed them into their compound and pointed gun at them.
Items stolen from them include mobile phones, a sum of N100,000 and other valuables.
Two other members of the gang were killed during a gun duel with the police at another location but Ajayi was arrested alongside the motorcycle.
He was first arraigned in court on 27th February, 2018 and pleaded not guilty when the charge was read to him.
The prosecution led by former Attorney General, Mr. Kolapo Kolade, called four witnesses and tendered exhibits including two guns, five live cartridges, phones, a Bajaj motorcycle, Indian hemp and statement of the accused.
Ajayi, who was led in evidence by his counsel, Mr. Kayode Oyeyemi, did not call any witness in the course of the trial.
Justice Ogunmoye ruled: “The prosecutor has proved his case beyond all reasonable doubt.
“The accused is hereby sentenced to death by hanging until he be dead. May God have mercy on your soul.”
You may like to read; Nigerian Drug dealer sentenced to death in Malaysia for trafficking over 700g of drugs