- JUST IN: Seven killed in Gov Obaseki’s convoy accident
- BREAKING: Kogi Deputy Gov Achuba impeached
- BREAKING: Gunshots in Abuja as police disperse protesting Shi’ites
- BREAKING: Again, fuel tanker explodes in Onitsha
- BREAKING: We’ll only register candidate with NIN for 2020 UTME – JAMB
- BREAKING: Fuel tanker explodes in Onitsha [VIDEO]
- BREAKING: Police raid another torture centre in Katsina
- BREAKING: Labour, Reps meeting failed to hold, as NLC seeks new date
- BREAKING: EFCC re-arraigns Atiku’s lawyer over $2m money laundering
- 18 days after kaduna house of horror, chained children found at religious centre in Daura
Kogi: Dino Melaye causes drama in court, unable to walk [PHOTO]
Dino Melaye, the senator representing Kogi West Senatorial District on Thursday, caused drama at the FCT High Court in Apo, Abuja.
The senator said that he was injured and could not stand in the dock to continue his criminal trial.
Withinnigeria recalls that Melaye is facing a six-count criminal charge of attempted suicide, escape from police custody, damage to police property, mischief’s, and threat to public servants.
The trial judge had at the last sitting on May 28, 2019, adjourned the case to September 11, 18 and October 3, 2019, for continuation of hearing and examination of witnesses by the defence counsel.
But Melaye was “assisted” to enter the courtroom by two of his aides who claimed he could not walk alone.
His counsel, Benson Igbanoi (who stood in for Mike Ozekhome) informed the trial court that he was injured in the last Governorship primary election conducted in Lokoja last week Tuesday when gunmen invaded the stadium, venue of the primary.
The defendant prayed the court for a longer adjournment to allow him to recuperate from his injured leg so as to enable him to continue his trial and present his witnesses.
Justice Sylvester Orji, in his ruling, accepted the defendant’s plea and adjourned to October 3 and 10, 2019, for the defendant to open and close his case.