- BREAKING: Tribunal nullifies Dino Melaye’s election
- Breaking: Confusion as 2 groups stage protests for, against Oyo youngest commissioner
- BREAKING: Ex-Super Falcons player, Ifeanyi Chiejine is dead
- BREAKING: Fatoyinbo snubbed PFN’s investigating panel on rape allegation
- BREAKING: Court dismisses HDP’s petition against Buhari, APC, INEC
- Breaking: Scores dead, secretariat, houses razed as Boko Haram overrun Borno areas
- BREAKING: Buhari remains Minister of Petroleum
- BREAKING: Court adjourns for judgment on Atiku’s petition
- BREAKING: Buhari begins swearing-in of ministers
- BREAKING: Supreme Court rejects Atiku, PDP’s request to access ‘INEC server’
5 Ways to Get the Career Growth You Need
But, how do you make sure you’re growing in a way that builds into a meaningful career and a fulfilling life?
In this competitive job market, one way to differentiate yourself is to stay on the cutting edge of the industry. You can take professional development classes, work on extra projects, and attend networking events. But, how do you make sure you’re growing in a way that builds into a meaningful career and a fulfilling life?
Shavon Brown, who works as a Manager of Learning and Development at Squarespace (she’s the company’s guru for continued learning) and moonlights as a holistic healer at Healing View Wellness, has unique insights into how people can continue to unlock their potential.
In both of her jobs, she’s leveraged a multidimensional perspective to help hundreds of people break through the barriers that keep them stuck. “Continued learning,” says Shavon, “provides a cushion that you can always build on to be innovative and creative. It keeps you abreast of changes and ignites your mental agility. If you’re always stuck in the same realm, it really limits your capacity.”
Shavon told us how she’s always nurturing growth at Squarespace and her side gig, both personally and with those lucky enough to work with her. Here are her top five ways to make sure you’re always growing in a way that serves you—no matter your goals.
1. Hone in on Your Purpose
Here’s a little secret: aligning with your purpose is a surefire way to make sure you’re always growing. Your purpose isn’t necessarily the goal of your specific role. It’s something deeper that ignites a sense of intrinsic value, or the sense that the work you’re doing has inherent worth. If you’re a marketer, your purpose could be to help potential customers. If you’re a data scientist, your purpose could be to find meaning in numbers.
Shavon explains: “As long as I’m putting energy toward something bigger than myself and bigger for the world, the hustle is easy. So, you need to find greater meaning in the day-to-day grind.” Because when you tap into that meaning or purpose, you’ll find that you’re over-the-moon about the idea of taking on a challenging project or signing up for a new class.